What is Gear VR and Samsung Gear VR 2017?
Gear VR is Samsung’s snap-on, wireless affordable way to use your Samsung Galaxy phone as a virtual reality headset while Samsung Gear VR 2017 is the Korean company’s new third-generation version of its phone-powered headset.
The headset’s specs
• Field of View (FOV): 101 degrees
• Interpupilary Distance (IPD): 62mm (fixed)
• Eye Relief: 10mm
• Sensor: Gyro sensor / Proximity sensor
• Compatability: Galaxy S6-S9+, Note5, Note8, A8, A
• Connection: USB Type-C, Micro USB
• Dimensions: 207.1 x 120.7 x 98.6 mm
• Weight: 345 g
• Color: orchid gray (darker colour tint)
What do you need in order to access it?
If you wish to experience VR through Samsung Gear VR 2017 in an impressive way, then Samsung has some advice which consists in choosing the Galaxy S8 as the smartphone you put inside the headset because of its wide screen. You can also use S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, S6, S6 Edge and S6 Edge+.
Pros and Cons
You should use this version of Gear VR because:
• It is affordable( $79,72- at Amazon)
• It has a wireless motion controller which gives an easy and intuitive teleportation, making the games fully explorable
• It has more apps to choose from compared to other mobile VR systems (plenty of demos and free apps)
• This updated version adds higher resolution, a built-in web browser and provides a coolernd smoother way of escaping reality.
• Highly detailed & crisp visuals using the Galaxy S8
• It only works with Samsung phones: Galaxy S and Nothe phones
• Does not have many controller-based apps
• It has a non rechargeable controller
To sum up, Samsung Gear VR provides an impressive and a completely wireless VR experience, but if you don’t own the phone it is not really worth buying one.